Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Ezekiel Among Us

Here are the readings of the Divine Office for Matins last night. You’d think Ezekiel was speaking to us directly about the current state of our society! His words certainly apply when we consider the immoral activities – the abominations – that are allowed to transpire without criticism in today’s culture. And the faithful and our shepherds are not blameless in this; true courage and boldness in fighting the evils of the day have been lacking for some time now. One might suspect that God has turned to giving us what we deserve rather than what we desire...or rather, Rather, God has not only allowed the current crisis to occur, He has willed it as a chastisement and a correction for the widespread failure to uphold the teachings of the Church – amongst the laity and clergy alike. (See this post.)

Ponder, and pray! The responsories at the end of each reading seem particularly thought-provoking, too, in the context of Ezekiel’s words.

Reading 1
From the Prophet Ezekiel
Ezek 7:1-4
1 Thus the word of the LORD came to me:
2 Son of man, now say: Thus says the Lord GOD to the land of Israel: An end! The end has come upon the four corners of the land!
3 Now the end is upon you; I will unleash my anger against you and judge you according to your conduct and lay upon you the consequences of all your abominations.
4 I will not look upon you with pity nor have mercy; I will bring your conduct down upon you, and the consequences of your abominations shall be in your midst; then shall you know that I am the LORD.

V. But thou, O Lord, have mercy upon us.
R. Thanks be to God.

R. I will show thee, O man, what is good, and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to
* Do justice and judgment, and to walk humbly with thy God?
V. l Trust in the Lord, and do good, and dwell in the land.
R. Do justice and judgment, and walk humbly with thy God.

Reading 2
Ezek 7:5-9
 
5 Thus says the Lord GOD: Disaster upon disaster! See it coming!
6 An end is coming, the end is coming upon you! See it coming!
7 The climax has come for you who dwell in the land! The time has come, near is the day: a time of consternation, not of rejoicing.
8 Soon now I will pour out my fury upon you and spend my anger upon you; I will judge you according to your conduct and lay upon you the consequences of all your abominations.
9 I will not look upon you with pity nor have mercy; I will deal with you according to your conduct, and the consequences of your abominations shall be in your midst; then shall you know that it is I, the LORD, who strike.

V. But thou, O Lord, have mercy upon us.
R. Thanks be to God.

R. I am straitened on every side, and know not what to choose.
* It is better for me to fall into the hands of men, than to sin against the law of my God.
V. For if I do this thing, it is death unto me and if I do it not, I cannot escape your hands.
R. It is better for me to fall into the hands of men, than to sin against the law of my God.

Reading 3
Ezek 7:10-13
10 See, the day of the LORD! See, the end is coming! Lawlessness is in full bloom, insolence flourishes,
11 violence has risen to support wickedness. It shall not be long in coming, nor shall it delay.
12 1 The time has come, the day dawns. Let not the buyer rejoice nor the seller mourn, for wrath shall be upon all the throng.
13 The seller shall not regain what he sold as long as he lives, for wrath shall be upon all the throng. Because of his sins, no one shall preserve his life.

V. But thou, O Lord, have mercy upon us.
R. Thanks be to God.


R. The Lord hath sent His angel, and hath shut the lions' mouths, that
* They have not hurt me forasmuch as before Him innocency was found in me.
V. God hath sent forth His mercy and His truth, (and delivered) my soul from among the lions' whelps.
R. They have not hurt me forasmuch as before Him innocency was found in me.
V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost.
R. They have not hurt me forasmuch as before Him innocency was found in me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and concise.